The Economic Council plays a vital role in the business and civic life of the Palm Beach community and beyond.
The Council is influential in the appointment of numerous business leaders and citizens to county and state boards and commissions.
The Economic Council is a leader in the education community. The Council’s William T. Dwyer Awards for Excellence in Education were established in 1985. Every year, these awards bring the community together to help increase awareness of the high quality of educators teaching in our community by recognizing outstanding teacher achievement.
Another successful collaboration of the Economic Council is the founding of the Regional Business Alliance, in partnership with the Broward Workshop and the Greater Miami-Dade Chamber of Commerce. The Alliance represents the interests of business throughout South Florida.
Other notable entities the Council helped to create or foster include:
- The Business Development Board of Palm Beach County
- The Education Commission
- The Education Foundation
- The Criminal Justice Commission
- Discover Palm Beach County (Convention & Visitors Bureau)
- Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC)
- Tourist Development Council
- Royal Palm Beach Festival (forerunner of SunFest)
- Council of the Arts (now the Cultural Council)
- Joint Committee to Increase Government Efficiency (Mini-Grace Committee)
- School Readiness Coalition
- Business Political Action Committee of Palm Beach County (BIZPAC)
- Business Federation of Palm Beach County (business PACs)
- TaxWatch (now Florida Tax Watch),
- South Florida Regional Transportation Authority (successor to TRI-RAIL)
One of the many successful collaborations of the Economic Council, in partnership with the Broward Workshop and the Greater Miami-Dade Chamber of Commerce, is the founding of the Regional Business Alliance to represent the interests of business in South Florida. Additionally, the Council is a key component of the Business Forum, a group of local chambers of commerce, REALTORS, homebuilders, general contractors and other business associations representing business interests in Palm Beach County.